måndag 23 november 2009

...and isn't it ironic, don't you think?

I hate shoes. I hate sunflowers. I hate people when they defend war. I hate my bills. I hate easter. I hate bad hairdays. And I hate listing things that I hate. But above all those things, I hate cooking. I hate everything about it. I hate how, unlike baking, it's not an exakt science. I hate how you have to touch dead stuff when dealing with it (sometimes at least). And I hate the fact that I can't even make soup without burning it.

Yes. Burning soup. I didn't even know that was possible, but whatever, I guess it is. Anyway, I got hungry the other day and decided to feed myself, but I was out of peasoup. And tomatosoup. And raspberry/blueberry soup. (What can I say, I love soup?) And pretty much everything eatable except an onion and a couple of potatos. So I whipped out an old home-ec coursebook from 8th grade and found this:



Onion & Potato-Soup - Student Version. (about 2-3 portions)
approx time: 25-30 min.

4 medium sized potatos (I ended up using 2 medium+ 3 tiny)
1 onion (yellow)
1 dice vegetable stock.
butter (to fry in, I'd say about 1 tbsp)
black pepper, salt

Directions
1. Peel and slice the onion and potatos.
2. Melt the butter
3. Fry the onion lightly - you know, just so it makes that fzzzz-ing sound for a few minutes.
4. Add the potatoes + about 2 cups (a little more) of water + vegetable stock
5. Lower the heat and let boil under lid until potatoes are soft (took me about 15 minutes).
6. Season away.


Look at that... I promise you, you won't find a simpler soup than that - it's pretty much a fool-proof recipe (considering I burnt it I should probably stop talking now, but I like trying to sound like a pro and failing miserably at it, so I won't). And the best part? It's CHEAP. Isn't that amazing? I think it is, but then again, I'm poor.

And the verdict? It's edible. It's potatos. It's...kind of dull. A bit too safe for my tastebuds (at least soupwise) and I wouldn't really call it a culinary masterpiece. Or even culinary for that matter. It was a bit, well, flavourless, maybe I didn't season it enough. And to be honest, IMO, potatos should be enjoyed on their own. Using them in a soup is really such a waste.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar